Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: How To Flash Firmware With Odin 3.0.7

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Asus Transformer TF101G + Dock
    ROM: Both SGS's are on Team Nocturnal's Goodness ROM, the TF is on TeamEos' JB 4.2.1 MR1 ROM & KAT Kernel

[GUIDE]How to Flash Firmware With Odin 3.0.7

Stumbled upon this a couple of weeks ago, & it's good for all Samsung phones including the SGS3. This is where to get your "home" .tar file aka firmware http://samsung-updates.com/

Download Odin 3.0.7 here. http://samsung-updates.com/Odin307.zip

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT .TAR FILE FOR YOUR SPECIFIC DEVICE/CARRIER OR YOU WILL END UP WITH A BRICK!!!

For the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III SPH-L710 follow the pictures:

*Note that currently there is only one .tar file for the SPH-L710, it is the LEN firmware that shipped with your phone, the LF9 version is not available as a full ROM yet.*
    But this will get you back to stock unrooted as shipped status on your phone, just like it was when you took it out of the box.
    IMPORTANT!!! You MUST unzip the file to extract the .tar inside, place ONLY the .tar file (disregard the .dll file included in the zip) in the Odin folder on your PC, reboot to download mode, flash via Odin. Easy peasy

EDIT: after successfully flashing this myself, & fakking finally being able to update to LF9 the right way, i.e. automagically I'll share my experience with this procedure:

1) Backup everything you care about retaining just in case, nandroid, apps, call logs, sms, mms, etc. Note: You *should* perform a full wipe, factory data reset, at this point. I did not do this, but as always YMMV. If you encounter problems, wipe everything & start over fresh & clean

2) Reboot to download mode (power off, then volume down + home then power, then when the WARNING screen comes up volume up to enter download mode)

3) connect your phone to your PC via USB

4) launch Odin on your PC, it should automatically detect your phone like this:

5) click the "PDA" button

6) In Odin select your home .tar file that you downloaded & unzipped into your Odin folder on your PC

Odin will automatically check the MD5 sum of your home .tar file to verify it's integrity, it takes a minute or two so BE PATIENT!!!
    7) Click "Start"

sit back and wait... The message window in the bottom left corner will update as each partition is flashed.
    As you can see in this last picture mine took 9:19 from start to finish, 99% of that time was just flashing the /system image
    it takes a LONG time so BE PATIENT!!!

Your phone will reboot automatically once the firmware is successfully flashed.
    You should note in all of my screenshots of Odin the "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" boxes are checked,and these are checked by default in Odin 3.0.7. If you uncheck "F.Reset Time" you should get a green pass button once the firmware is flashed successfully as shown in my last screenshot above. The "Auto Reboot" can be used at user discretion. You will want to leave "Auto Reboot" unchecked if flashing a custom recovery.

You should also ALWAYS flash ROMs/firmware in the PDA slot, actually I've never used any other slot to flash anything. Flashing in the wrong slot can BRICK your phone so just use the PDA slot

8) This procedure will leave you in an unrooted completely stock state, so you'll need to re-root with whatever method works for you and you're comfortable with. I personally use & recommend CMTeamEpic's root method from here: CMTeamEpic's root method

So my mission with this procedure on my phone was to get it to update to the LF9 firmware automatically, like it should. I was successful, as soon as it booted up, it downloaded the update, & asked me if I wanted to update I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Side Note: by virtue of me NOT wiping ANYTHING before flashing my home.tar file, all of my home screens, settings, call logs, sms, mms, etc. were retained, I didn't lose ANYTHING!!! B-)

As always your mileage may vary, & I'm not responsible if you do something stupid and brick your phone, start world war three, and so on, and so forth, etc, etc. Happy Flashing!!!

Sent from my re-flashed re-rooted Galaxy S 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 using Tapatalk 2
    The new kid on the block is the 16GB in Marble White, it's rocking AOKP JB & ktonsez's KT747-s kernel
    The SGS II Epic 4G Touch is on TNz Blend ICS "The Goodness" v16.6.5 agat63's Custom Kernel v4.4 FF18 Modem
    and NO Tweaks not already included in the ROM Yes it's that good.
    The Asus Transformer TF101G is on TeamEos Cornerstone Nightly 34 w/ Harmony #67 kernel

Tweaks: C-o-D Tweaks NO MORE SCRIPTS!!!
    [GUIDE] How to Un-Root & Re-Root Your EVO 4G / [Mini Guide] How to re-partition your sd card
    [INFO] What you need to know about APPS2SD vs. DarkTremors a2sd
    The Samsung Galaxy S III is like an iPhone for people who can actually think for themselves... The SGS II E4GT is just a beast of a phone Exynos POWAAAHHH!!!

Device: Google Nexus 5
    ROM: Stock Rooted

This should be pinned (and locked?) so it doesn't get lost thru-out the forum.
    Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful
    Semper Fratres - Always Brothers

[Guide] System Tuner Pro (STP)
    [Guide] Google Voice Setup
    [Guide] Plex for Android and HTPC
    Retired Device: HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S III

I just found this myself after searching on Tony's suggestion, came here to post about it but as usual you guys already knew about it.
    My post wouldn't have been as good as car's anyway

Stickied

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using VaelPak Forums

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Asus Transformer TF101G + Dock
    ROM: Both SGS's are on Team Nocturnal's Goodness ROM, the TF is on TeamEos' JB 4.2.1 MR1 ROM & KAT Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by erFra link=topic=2837.msg#msg date=76
    This should be pinned (and locked?) so it doesn't get lost thru-out the forum.
    You're right it should
    Quote Originally Posted by n link=topic=2837.msg#msg date=76
    I just found this myself after searching on Tony's suggestion, came here to post about it but as usual you guys already knew about it.
    My post wouldn't have been as good as car's anyway
    It may have been, but now we'll never know will we...
    Quote Originally Posted by _ link=topic=2837.msg#msg date=76
    Stickied

Thanks for having my back PHONE WHORE :P

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The new kid on the block is the 16GB in Marble White, it's rocking AOKP JB & ktonsez's KT747-s kernel
    The SGS II Epic 4G Touch is on TNz Blend ICS "The Goodness" v16.6.5 agat63's Custom Kernel v4.4 FF18 Modem
    The Asus Transformer TF101G is on TeamEos Cornerstone Nightly 34 w/ Harmony #67 kernel

[GUIDE] How to Un-Root & Re-Root Your EVO 4G / [Mini Guide] How to re-partition your sd card
    The Samsung Galaxy S III is like an iPhone for people who can actually think for themselves... The SGS II E4GT is just a beast of a phone Exynos POWAAAHHH!!!

: D

bump updated the OP with pretty much a full step by step guide of how to flash firmware updates using Odin. I Fakking rock!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Right on. Thanks for the great tutorial
    I was lucky and able to update fairly easy with no hiccups, and re-rooting with TeamEpics method was/is excellent. But I've seen many other's out there that did have issues updating and this is for sure a handy little sticky just in case others need it. Thanks Car...you too Tony ya At&t bastige. :P

LoL! Ya I hadn't done it yet but earlier this afternoon I wanted to make sure everything was gonna work in case I brick or something. Unrooted to stock and now rooted all over again....at&t didn't have any updates though like I was thinking

Sent from my HTC One X using VaelPak Forums

Quote Originally Posted by _ link=topic=2837.msg#msg date=77
    LoL! Ya I hadn't done it yet but earlier this afternoon I wanted to make sure everything was gonna work in case I brick or something. Unrooted to stock and now rooted all over again....at&t didn't have any updates though like I was thinking

Sent from my HTC One X using VaelPak Forums
    Well yah the flippin' phone was just released 48 hours ago! As long as you have your home.tar you're golden